Arenas is a terrible way to hand out Veteran Rings.
Let’s do some calculating. 90 people in a league. Let’s assume everyone stays in their usual ranks. Ranks are usually static after all, which I shall return to after:
In one day:
- Person 1, more than likely a spender, will have 36 rings by tomorrow, so one maxed toon a day.
- Person 2-5, will get some VRs a day. Not enough to max. Maybe a few extra hundred stats.
- Person 6-10 will get 1 ring. 1/30 of maxing a toon.
- Person 11-90 - Will get NO rings. They have a small chance of 1 from login, a max of 8 times
In one week:
- Person 1 will have maxed their team and half of another
- Person 2-5 will have roughly 2 toons maxed
- Person 6-10 will have 7 rings.
- Person 11-90, might have 7, might have none
In one month:
- Person 1 will have at least 4 teams maxed out.
- Person 2-5 will likely have a team maxed out
- Person 6-10 will have 1 toon maxed
- EIGHTY other people, 90%, Persons 11-90., Will have 8 rings. Currently it will take, drumroll, 4 months to max one toon. Assuming Scopely carry on login stashes of this calibre.
The average player does not want a Veteran Michelle crushing their own unVeteran Michelle. Not in the current meta. I’m fine to lose to Priya and Pete, but losing now to the same toons I have, simply Veteran boosted? That’s going to cause frustration. I don’t know how they pan out in Plat and Gold neither. Is my weak diamond self (Person 15) about to lose out to a good gold player (Person 1)? Is a weak Plat V player about to lose out to a good Plat I?
- The frustration is going to come from being unable to boost my own toons in a way I can be personally responsible for.
Now-*vital* stat boosts should not be rank rewards. Person 1-10 will continue to hold those spots. Person 67 is not going to luck in and the Top 10 are not going to give up those spots once they’ve finished their promoting. There needs to be a way personally-controlled to get Veteran Rings, and much more than currently available for 90% of the playerbase who are going to get left behind once again. More worringly, they’re not going to get left behind to the latest OP toon, they’re going to get left behind to the toons they themselves have and could beat otherwise.
Veterans Rings could have been a good idea. Unfortunately, with S-Class introduced, anything between 2k base stat and 10k base stat is now merely catching up. There isn’t room or desire for losing out to your own toons, as well as the latest OP addition.
TL:DR: Rank rewards in Arenas cannot be the only source of Veteran Rings. Daily login, while welcome, is still not enough.