Plz help - Screen cut-off on Pixel 2 XL (game unplayable)

Hi there! I just got the new Pixel 2 XL phone, and when I load up this game, I see that the left and right portions of the screen are cut-off. And, I also think that the touch targets are off (it seems like the touch targets are a little to the side of where the UI is)

Unfortunately, this renders the game difficult to play :frowning:

Plz help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems like the game is not exactly built for 18:9 screen aspect ratio (default aspect ratio is 16:9), or the game does not detect your device as having an 18:9 aspect ratio and runs it at the default aspect ratio.

3 solutions

1. Is the game at the latest version? If no, update it (obviously). If yes, clear cache and/or data and run the game again.
  2. Is your phone at it’s latest version? Pixel 2 is kinda new so it is prone to unchecked bugs at launch. If there is a software update available, be sure to download it.
  3. Contact customer support. If you are able to.

alternate/risky solutions:

1. Factory reset your phone
  2. (Root required) Download Resolution Changer from the play store, you should have an option to change your phone’s aspect ratio.
  3. (Root required) Install a custom ROM

Second options 2.2 and 2.3 would only be possible if it’s a Google store phone, FYI might want to add that info If as most are Verizon models it has a locked bootloader.

This is specifically for the first Pixel generation, but there is a solution on the way to bypass Verizon’s locked bootloader.

Thanks @Someloser - I got my phone from the Google Play Store (but it’s good to know about the Verizon hurdle)

Thanks @Xgen - that’s a pretty comprehensive list of possible options!! :slight_smile:

Yup, my game is latest, and so is my phone (checked updates). I checked with Pixel 2 XL customer support about this (and perhaps not surprisingly) they said to check with the game developers (and so here I am)

I did try clearning cache, and then clearing data, and then uninstall/re-install, to no avail

It’s a new phone that I just set up, so I don’t think Factory reset would help…

Appreciate all you guys’ help though!!! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that. One question though: do you have this problem with any other app on your phone?

Hope Scopely fixes it soon. Wouldn’t hold my breath I asked two years ago for them to add split scream support into the coding, even posted how to do it. No split screen support yet.

And for anyone asking why split screen, well it would be nice to watch video, surf the web or anything else while grinding away at boring ass farming.

@Xgen Other apps seem fine… (although, they’re simpler apps that probably use native UI widgets/layout that naturally scale to the available width/height) With game like this, there’s probably some funky width/height ViewPort handling…

@kalishane When you get a chance, can you plz let the team know about this issue? (hopefully it can be fixed) :slight_smile: I’m going to have to leave my faction now, because I can’t contribute and it wouldn’t be fair to them

I’m having this exact same problem. I in no way will root my phone in order to change my screen resolution or aspect ratio. The display on this phone is beautiful and I don’t want to mess with it just to play this game. I’ve not had this problem anywhere else so it seems to be a programming issue within RTS. Please get this fixed ASAP.

Issues I’ve noticed:

1. Left and right sides of the screen are cut off (see screenshots)
  2. Touch zones appear to be off. They get further off the further to the left of the screen you go. To use the AR for my furthest left character, I have to touch at the very right of the bubble. To switch to chats that require hitting the left arrow, I have to tap about 1/2 inch to the right of the arrow.!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @GettingTired! :slight_smile:

I took a quick look when I first got the phone and hit this issue, but could not see the “full screen mode” setting… I’m sure the UI is different from different versions of Android, but whereabouts did you see this setting?

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn’t seem that’s an option in Oreo.

Even better news! The 9.0 Beta update fixes this Pixel XL 2 issue. Not in the way I had hoped, but better than nothing. it looks like they just force 16:9 with black bars on either side. Not perfect, but WAAAAY better than having a bunch of my screen cut off. Thanks to the devs that fixed this!!

Yay!!! :slight_smile:

Having the same problem here with my new Pixel 2 XL. Hope it gets fixed soon!

So glad they are addressing it, excited for the update!

Using game launcher helped on my s8+. The setting is there by swiping up from the bottom of the phone. Screenshot_20171103-065301