Old Player returning after a 2 and a half year break. This game has had a HUGE improvement

2 and a half years ago I quit this game after doing 8 large pulls on a Yellow Jesus specific wheel (to replace my Cooper on def and make a solid def pretty much unbeatable) and ended up getting 3 Gregories and a Red Governor… and a boat load of 3s. All pretty poor toons. I realised I had an addiction and needed to quit before it got even more severe. I now live in China and don’t have access to Google Play and Amazon App Store is not linked to Scopely purchasing so I literally can’t spend any money on the game so thought it safe to start again. My addiction now can’t be fuelled with cash (It was a real issue and this game put me in debt, it needed to be addressed).
Now that’s out of the way…
I started in the very first month of release. I remember back in the day before 5
s when a Blue Carson leader and Blue 4* line attack Andreas were a very solid defence and attack, or a little later on when depot came out and we started seeing Tyreese or Morgan lead yellow teams being some of the strongest around, until Green area attack Michonne broke the entire meta, quickly overtaken by Yellow Jesus. These were all very very early 5s who at the time couldn’t even be levelled to tier 4 because Walkies and Schoolbags hadn’t been released yet. Fast forward to when I left, I was in the top faction on my server and personally in the top 10 of the region’s leaderboard. I had a huge amount of 5s. I had a Def team of Ben (Leader), Lester (most OP toon at the time), Red Garrett, Cooper and Bruce, it was a team that had a incredibly successful defense rate. Now it is a poor def team due to many reasons; new skills, mods, power creep, greater prevalence of top crit result weaponary and 6s. I also struggle in war due to having no 6s yet. Basically, I’m currently a ‘has been’.

When I left, weapon upgrades had only been going a few months and very few people had more than 1 stun/impair/revive/absolute weapons. Now the prevalence of those type of weapons I consider the only downside with the change of the game since I’ve returned.

So what has improved?
-Survival Roads are an absolutely excellent addition, I specifically like the Tournament versions. But 10 free levels a day in energy downtime is pretty handy.
-Faction assault on bosses is pretty cool, although I’m too weak to really help that much on the levels my faction opens.
-In War the strongholds seem a lot more balanced
-Very easy access to Tier 4 gear for my huge amounts of 5s
-Ascendable toons - already been able to gain 6 more 5
s from ascension in just 3 weeks.
-2 Free 5* giveaways simply from completing an extended world map or other types of mission completion (can’t remember exactly what) - 5* Yellow decapitate Sandy is incredibly good and has replaced my Cooper, in fact her 5* seems better than her 6* version if it wasn’t for base stats.
-No more 3*s in the wheels… This is HUGE. Not that I can or will pull anymore.
-Territories also look an excellent addition and always make you consider which territory will benefit you the most at any particular time.
-Loads of level up events stop you having to horde (unless you are intending to place high in one).
-Finally decent and regular rewards from Road Maps.
-Limited time offers allow you to trade ‘parts’ of a bigger collection for smaller prizes (such as gold mods currently) if you don’t intend purchasing and pushing for the bigger prize.
-Hard clicking on weapons when disassembling or selling selects all of the same time (THANK F**K for that!)
-And lastly (but definitely not least) - Weapons Mods are amazing! It makes every single character an individual. I have 3 red shield Garretts for example - all completely different to one another.

It’s almost like a new game. Plus everything seems to be happening at a faster pace than in the past. I like it, despite the fact I’ve gone from a big player to a tiny minnow in those 2 and a half years.

13 Likes

Holy crap. You sound like me when i started the game. Like right now your team is basically A++ compared to the new meta. I have an s8 team all earned not bought but dude if you quit a little later you could have a fighting chance. Ive stuck with this game for 4 years. Never dropped it

3 Likes

Glad you like it but i hope your patient enough to stick around and build a usable 6* team. Gen 2 6s are coming in and most 5 (the ones still useable in top play) wont be much use anymore. The game has improved greatly since you left but its still got things that are very outdated. Welcome back

1 Like

The spending of 8 big pulls for basically nothing of value in the game is the straw that broke the camels back. Although I’d done it after a night out with a fair bit of alcohol in the system, it made me realise I couldn’t be trusted with this game and money. I cut up my credit card the very next day and cancelled it. I have never before or since been addicted to any form of gambling.
However I did start playing WAR Z after this and although I never paid a penny on that game I was even more addicted time-wise, as that game required you to be on it extremely regularly or you lost everything except the buildings you advanced. I had spent so much time on it that I was a main player and leader(/sub leader later) of one of the top factions despite being completely F2P. It was not healthy. Now that I can’t spend I find this game so far to be a healthy compromise, as you can put it down for a day or 2 and you’ve lost nothing aside from food and wood that you can more than gain back in a fraction of a round of energy.
Fortunately, with all British credit cards paid off and cancelled, China making it exceptionally awkward for foreigners to get their money out of the country into other accounts, Google completely banned on Chinese phones (Google Play can’t even be used with a VPN active) and Scopely not linked up financially with Amazon App Store, it is almost completely impossible for me to put any money into the game.
It will take me time to build a 6 star team and I have a few questions concerning that:

My Ascendables are 3 Blue Andreas, 1 Shiva, 1 Red Governor, 1 Yellow Sandy, 1 Wanderer, 1 Red Eugene and 1 Green Glenn, could also probably purchase Blue Eric from the depot since his 6* seems pretty good and I have no revivers. My preferred strategy has always been to focus on 45ap rushers with Medium boost leaders and large boost weapons. Who would be the best to upgrade 1st do you think?

Also I have been contemplating trying again for a red stun gun for my Shield Garretts, how many attempts has it taken you in the past to get special weapons?

And finally, are there any toons worth saving for that I can guarantee from various token places?

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

Sorry to break the news but any 5* shields basically get 1 shotted by 6*. Tons of stun resist mods so not as op as before.
Id ascend blue andrea, blue erik, and red gov to start. Erik is a great def lead and blue andrea is a great attack lead. 45ap isnt in the current 6* meta 58 is lowest

2 Likes

From what you’ve listed you’d probably do best ascending Andrea, Eric, Shiva & Glenn. Eric would give you a blue green defence and you could swap lead with Andrea for offence if you get more ranged later. You’ll likely need a decapitate character for that team. That color combination could give you access to blue Tyreese from the depot or green Alpha from 5 star tokens. Save up those season tokens, you never know what a new season will have available for you to buy. Also, work on leveling your player level fast if you want weapons as that’s where you can get the duct tape and polishing kits your weapon crafting will require.

I don’t think +10 crit to reds is balanced at all.

Sure, huge amounts of gear for 5 stars. Those become more and more useless as we progress, what we really need is 6 star gear.

This was a huge step in the right direction. Now, if only they can continue on the path of not breaking the game any further and giving away good ascendables.

Agreed. 3x the supply depot points for the 39 4 stars I would inevitably pull is great.

An excellent addition, if only it wasn’t broken beyond repair.

Not good enough for top tier f2p players. Though, better than before.

Offers… tch. Get those trashy ripoffs outta here.

HECK YEAH!!! This is one of the only things I thank Scopes profusely for doing.

They are great, too bad the availability of better mods for lower players has decreased greatly. Hopefully we can see an uptick in that sometime soon.

Aye, started playing around September of last year, and even though I’ve made slow progress, I was able to get a full 6 star team within a month with little spent. Seems like teams these days are a bit better than the cookie-cutter Andrea teams I’ve heard so much about.

1 Like

The 10crit tower was actually 100crit huge difference. Dont recall any other 10 crit tower.
Towers are OK now. A large ap when attacking is meh…would like to see more diversity each war. Seems they rotate a few(blues got 30 hp for a few wars and not long before reds got attack boost for a few) change from green to red or whatever legacy they just released.

3 Likes

Sorry, what are you talking about? Look again :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Ok…the tower wasnt 10 crit nice troll tho. I really hope you actually looked at the towers

3 Likes

No, no, no, what are you talking about?? It specifically says 10 crit on mine. Does it say otherwise on yours?

• Watchtower

:alert: team members gain +10 CRIT when attacking camps and stronghold

1 Like

Unfortunately not everyone has sense on here hard to tell if they actually are being funny or they really believe it. I can see someone not actually looking at the towers all weekend :joy: like our one friend who insisted the game was perfect and we should all just spend to pay the wonderful people for the game and not be rude. Where did that guy go he had me laughing all weekend. I think it was @Wanderer undercover

3 Likes

This is what was stated, but in-game it was +100 crit to reds.

4 Likes

There was literally a full discussion on the thread for whether or not 100 crit meant 100% chance to crit :joy:

3 Likes

Oh. Lmao, had no idea. Wasn’t able to war as parental controls were put on my device :sweat:
Sorry about that, @Jlag. My ignorance got the best of me, you were right.

2 Likes

Well well, someone deleted my comment so I’ll say it again. Run, run as far as you can. The game made some improvements, but unless you had a bunch of legacy toons you will not be able to catch up. You say you cant buy and you were in debt because of the game, dont put yourself back in this situation.

3 Likes

You won’t get far as you have in the past without opening your wallet. They give no gear maps for 6*’s. So you have to grind in events for small bits of gear. You will need to be in platinum division in leagues to get 6* gear in which you need tokens for. So unless you are not going to open your wallet up, dont expect to get far. It may take you even longer now to get anywhere.

1 Like

Your post made scope’s day until…

Please check back in in month or so. Very curious how you’ll feel then

3 Likes

Yea im curious how long it takes for him/her to see how much is still lacking in the game.

1 Like

Run while you can, the game has become more monetized than ever, run and dont look back.

4 Likes