Mobile Game Psychology

I think this video deserves it’s own thread. If you guys have the time (I bet you do), feel free to watch the presentation and provide your opinion about it’s accuracy or relevance. Please keep this discussion civil!

8 Likes
2 Likes

So, has anyone noticed any patterns? And reasons why the game may never change for the better?

Watching that some things they are obviously using like hot takes. Every time I run out of mod scrap what pops up 2 seconds later…

1 Like

This game is about 95% “competitive advantage” in terms of the Bartle type they’re appealing to. The speaker makes sure to highlight that this approach can make for horribly balanced games, which has proven to be highly accurate.

1 Like

Looking back on this video, another thing that hits a little close to home is the “gacha” mechanic. He mentions no matter how much you spend, you cannot directly not get the card you want. And people seem to enjoy the lottery part of it.

Same for the social proof section of the presentation. The socially acceptable way of behaving in your group is spending the most money.

At the end of the video, he even said: “make sure your game isn’t too skill-based”. Ouch

4 Likes

2 Likes

Anchoring is another big one, they will throw out an offer an a stupid price early on during a event then hit you with cheap stuff later to make you think it’s an actual deal.

2 Likes

TL;DW

Monitization models… By order of importance. (Content lowest)

How to walk people at each stage to spending regularly

The ideal psychological stage for purchasing… Insert coins to continue

Monthly events… where you lose your seashells

Things are appreciated more if you have to work for them

“Just don’t make skill too valuable”

Not sure why this sounds so familiar

2 Likes

I watched the video yesterday it made me want to take a shower. Its absolutely disgusting because I remember myself reasoning my spending with these same principles

2 Likes

The differences is that grind and pay are not options now. To progress you basically have to pay now.

5 Likes

Or realize that this game is broken and you have better uses for your money

2 Likes