Gameplay at risk!

I care about the gameplay. With S-Class just crawling, many legendary characters will be virtually useless, and I worry about how to get S-Class characters. I understand it’s not just a game but also a company that seeks to profit from it, but what if future gameplay compromises the fun? Does the game really need the existence of class S?

4 Likes

No, just like it didn’t need 6*s or veteran rings. They’re here to stay unfortunately. You can with keep playing and enjoy it as is, or not. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

No they didn’t but this seems to be the “Scopely way”. Just add more stuff on top when the meta is messed up.

A lot of other games work constantly on balancing and nerfing toons to keep the game balanced at all times. They don’t just add new OP stuff to beat OP stuff that was added to fix a seemingly surprising OP meta.

I guess you can call that a strategy also. I just wish they had a more long term sustainable strategy. The current one is just to “OP the meta fix”

But what do I know? I’m just the player :wink:

3 Likes

They are clever in a way in doing this. Think about before Sclass… Once every 2 or 3 months, you might obtain a character that would definitely replace one of your top 5 on attack or a character that allowed you to totally rework your attack. It was a painfully slow progression.
Now what they have done is completely wipe the value of what everybody had invested up until the point of Sclass, but now players feel like they are progressing again (even though that’s because they’ve been pretty much dragged back to the starting line). It was a very clever move by Scopely. And making it so that every single Sclass is technically F2P, it opens the game up in the long run. What’s even smarter is the fact that the 6 star versions are far more easily obtained (and are pretty powerful in themselves in comparison to most 6 stars anyway), so players get gratification much sooner than just when they finally get the Sclass.

Very very smart.

Btw this isn’t a defense of Scopely.

3 Likes

I’m not arguing that it might be cleaver - at least from their perspective.
I just personally think you get more out of it in the long run if you maintain a stabile platform and then actively work on balance issues instead of just replacing it with a new one.

But I always overthink stuff anyway :blush:

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with you. I’m just talking from their perspective. I would absolutely have preferred if they had kept with 6 stars, carried on bringing out ascendables but also have brought out the shard system they have now, just with new 6 stars instead of Sclass. That would have reinvigorated the game by itself, without the need for the Sclass leap.

2 Likes

I agree with you. But the reason they do it is simple. It comes to a point with regular 6* and even 5* back in the day, become to OP with the power creep. They can only add some many new skills and things to the new toons before the run out of things to do. So instead of thinking about things in a normal progression, they pumped out the most OP toons they could design to make money.

And then did a reset so everyone had to basically start over.

2 Likes

Yet,…it’s still not too late for scopely, they can just decide well. S class int it so we should stop making new ones. Leaving the ones that are already in game because if they recall them all the whales will be upset and uno…no whales…no money…no game so

1 Like

And I really think scopely should’ve ascended most 5*s before they thought about s class

1 Like

Obviously I am speculating but some of the new S Class toons had to do with the launch of the new office in Japan and the increased focus on Asia.
And some were to cater for the (again) way to OP meta - so they did what they always do.

However - if they focused on evolving existing characters, such as ascending legacy 5* and constantly working on skill balance - we would have a game that is way more balanced. And where roster space isn’t an issue for old timers because all toons would be useful.

I’m aware it would ruin the business model for premier recruits but if they wanted to they could find a revenue stream that would replace that so they don’t loose out. It’s more a question of willingness and I don’t think they are willing.

They would much rather keep adding new toons to the game instead of putting the work into a constant development of the existing content. I don’t think they are interested in actually working on game performance and player experience. At least not if we don’t share their definition of player experience. But again - I’m speculating :blush:

1 Like

Will Asia want such a buggy ass mobile game lol

1 Like

Gameplay is hefty suffering its just boring, wars are a chore and end up forcing myself to play it when its on, also tired of the Pete Defenses so many and unable to combat it anymore I just pass over them to ones I may be able to defeat.

1 Like

Really? I’m having a blast. I’m not too optimistic about the game, but right now is some of the most fun I’ve had with it in quite a long time.

@JessicaRabbit It’s for the tie-in novel set in China. I don’t think it has to do with the Japan office, given that the characters are Chinese and there’s not a lot of love between these two,

And yes, the game could be much better balanced. It would require nerfing though, and I can understand that they don’t want to do this - people spent a lot of money on these toons, and have a reasonable expectation that they get what they paid for. On the other hand, expecting that a very powerful character would never be surpassed or fall out of the meta in a game that keeps adding characters weekly seems less reasonable, so it’s probably the better strategy for them.

(Also I don’t quite get the argument that making more characters useful would reduce the problem of roster space - surely it’s even harder to get rid of characters that are useful?)

Otherwise, you raise some very good points. I don’t think we can expect them to completely shift the game four years into its life cycle though.

1 Like

I meant Chinese :smile: but also timed with their investment in Asia.

What I meant with roster is to make the toons that are just sitting there useful. Sure I could just sell them all but why not make stuff already made useful instead of keep adding new (which do have an impact on roster).

And I fully get the argument about people have bought stuff. And also why they have the strategy they do - I just think it could me much better if they chose a different path.

A girl can dream right? :wink:

4 Likes

They have now destroyed the player base all I see is bugs and people using cheats everywhere now.
it’s boring facing the same teams for months with no real way to gain anything.
war rewards got worse .wtf is the point?
odds to getting new stuff got better then got 10x worse.
sinking ship.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.